The organ at St Aloysius was installed by the Blessed John Henry Newman parish in 2010. It came to us after 130 years of hard work in other churches in Adelaide. It is of national significance, as one of only two surviving largely intact examples of the work of Johann Wilhelm Wolff. Wolff is significant in the history of Australian organ builders. He was born and learned his trade in the north of Germany in what is now the City of Bremerhaven. He migrated to Adelaide in 1849 and soon rose to become the prominent organ builder in Adelaide. He brought with him and developed the German organ building style, reflected still in the St Aloysius organ built in 1880 with its preference for wooden pipes. In its present location in Melbourne, the organ is unique in that most organs built before 1900 still in use in Melbourne are English in style. The Wolff organ therefore represents a historic link between modern Melbourne and 19th Century German culture. The organ’s specification is small in scope, with two manuals and pedal board and 10 speaking stops. There are no reeds or mutations. The original stops are mostly wood, although a metal Dulciana was added. The sound is thus gentle and pure and is particularly suited to the acoustic in the St Aloysius’ Church. As a small and gentle organ, the Wolff at St Aloysius is well suited to younger musicians as a venue for performance, practice and teaching. It is an important community resource. Of course, the organ finds its highest use within the context of the classical Latin Liturgy of the Catholic Church, sometimes called the “extraordinary form” of the Roman Rite. The Blessed John Henry Newman Parish exists to give pastoral support to those who aspire to worship God and lead a Christian life according to traditional forms. It is one of the few places in Australia where the traditional liturgy is celebrated in all its fullness throughout the entire liturgical year. By itself, this has cultural significance for Melbourne. The Wolff organ’s understated tone combined with the fine acoustic of St Aloysius is well adapted to the Roman liturgy and complements the cultural dimension of the work of the Parish.