'Psallamus’ is a small but expanding mixed a capella choir which serves the Parish of Bl. John Henry Newman at St Aloysius, Caulfield North.
We sing the traditional Catholic repertoire of Gregorian Chant, renaissance polyphony (Palestrina, Victoria, Byrd, Tallis etc), as well as later sacred works.
We are looking for new members.
For further information, please e-mail: or phone 0415 320 293
Sample Recordings from Laetare Sunday
Kyrie (Byrd Mass in 4)
Civitas Sancti (Byrd)
Tract: Qui Confidunt
The Parish of Bl John Henry Newman
The historic J.W. Wolff organ was blessed at St. Aloysius' Church on Gaudete Sunday, 12th December 2010, along with the induction of its first principal organist.
History of the Organ
The organ first opened at the Wesleyan Church, Port Adelaide on 13 May 1880.
It was sold to the Congregational Church, Medindie in 1911 and later to the Congregational Church, College Park c.1942, which later became the Seventh Day Adventist Church. It was there until 2005, and then put into storage. This organ, of the utmost significance, is largely in original condition and retains its hand blowing feeders and rare mechanical 'push-up' action.
Johann Wilhelm Wolff (1818-1894) - Wolff was a native of Lehe, a small village later absorbed into Bremerhaven. Arriving in South Australia 1849, he already had the funds to invest in property in Adelaide. He was building organs in South Australia 1862 – 1880, producing as many as 22 instruments. It can be assumed that he would have had some prior experience in Germany, although the gap of 13 years after he arrived before the production of his first instrument raises questions. His instruments were built for some of the principal churches in Adelaide and elsewhere, together with private homes entirely in South Australia, although none went to the Barossa region that was served by organbuilders Krüger and Lemke. His business also imported German pianos from W. Biese and E. Seiler. His organs were clearly different from those built by English builders, with unusual casework, pipework and distinctive tonal design, an interesting amalgam of English and German stylistic characteristics.
We renew our deep gratitude to the Benefactor of this organ for his generosity. We also wish to acknowledge and thank Ian Wakeley, and the staff of Wakeley Pipe Organs Pty Ltd (Campbell Hargraves, Keith Denmeade, Justin McDonnell, and Benjamin Briggs) for their dedication and expertise in the superb restoration of the organ. A special note of acknowledgement and gratitude goes to Miss Ellie Davin, organist and choir mistress of St Aloysius' Caulfield for almost 50 years (beginning in 1950), who always sought to maintain the Church's tradition of Sacred Music at St Aloysius'.
GREAT (Manual I)
1. Open Diapason 8 56 Pipes
2. Claribella 8 56
3. Dulciana 8 56
4. Principal 4 56
5. Fifteenth 2 56